Monday, August 22, 2005

One Day at a Time...

I've been getting some questions about my origin story and while I'd love to have been rescued from an aquarium fire by a sentient fluke whale and his dolphin sidekick I'm not nearly that lucky. Instead I went to USC Film School where I almost got my MFA but did not due to the fact that the people who work there are insufferable assholes. But we'll save that for another day.

This is a story about agents and lawyers. Many people want to know how to get representation and what I would tell you is to move to Los Angeles, write a good script and wait. While you're waiting you should probably write another script and hopefully it's better than the one you wrote before it. In my case I won a screenwriting prize while I was at USC Film school where I almost got my MFA but did not due to the fact that the people who work there are insufferable assholes. The award wasn't a huge deal but a couple agents took notice. I met with them but it didn't feel exactly right so I kinda kept fucking around and hoping something better would come along. To this day this is how I run my life.

Meanwhile I met these guys who fancied themselves producers and wanted to option that script. I had no lawyer. No agent. Nothing. But because I am the dumbest monkey in the fucking tree I did something that I regret EVERY TIME I do it.

I asked my Dad for help.

Now understand this. Back then my father's knowledge of the entertainment business didn't extend past what he'd learned kissing Bonnie Franklin once in high school. (Of course now he checks WOTW daily grosses on Box Office Mojo and wants to know if the DVD industry is in a slump and whether this will affect my ability to provide food and comfort for my family.)

So he recommends me a cheap lawyer friend of his who I find out later only came to this "lawyer gig" late in life. What he really wants to do is park his Volvo near the beach and sleep. But hey, he's got one of those law degree thingies so I figure what the fuck. He then proceeds to negotiate a contract between me and the producers WHICH ALLOWS THEM TO OPTION MY SCRIPT FOR $2500 AND THEN RENEW SAID OPTION EVERY YEAR UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

A tiny error on his part.

So here I am with one script to my name (which I will never see again), this little lucite award on my shelf and no agent. Did I mention the script is a prison drama taking place on death row in real time and at the end the guy gets killed? Sure, real time electrocution stories have always been a hot genre, but for some reason none of the big agencies wanted to take on a client whose only script was already optioned UNTIL THE END OF TIME and whose second script (unfinished) was in that other really hot genre: "Death at a Jewish Summer Camp".

Then a screenwriter buddy of mine says a friend of his from high school (currently working as an agent's assistant at a tiny agency) may soon get to represent clients on her own. She's read my peppy prison drama and would love to have dinner. I'm a little nervous about this because this was my same friend who admitting masturbating every time he got stuck writing a scene. (I'd read his scripts. He got stuck a lot.) But the almost-agent and I meet and I tell her my script is already under option UNTIL THE END OF TIME and I'm fairly certain my next script ain't exactly The Last Boy Scout.

She says she couldn't care less and I officially become Her First Client and she becomes My First Agent. The funny part was, she was still an assistant. So occasionally she'd get confused and I'd call her line and she'd answer as if it were her boss's line, and I'd think: "Wow. My career is in the hands of a yahoo."

But she was the most enthusiastic yahoo I had ever met. She took that one little script of mine and flogged the shit out of it. I had meetings all over town. And that is ALL you can ask your agent to be and do. The rest is up to you. A lot of people want to get signed at a big agency but what's really important is the agent NOT the agency. Having a fancy cover on your script doesn't mean fuck all if it's only being used by your agent's assistant to test-drive her new Prada book bag.

On the other hand, if you need a lawyer don't call my dad.

After a number of months I get my first offer: rewriting a serial killer movie for this little production company. I was living in an attic with shag carpeting, a velour sectional and a mattress on the floor. I had $1500 to my name. Unbeknownst to me until years later, this is how the negotiations went:

MY AGENT: I'm calling to discuss the Josh Friedman deal.
BUSINESS AFFAIRS: Great. I hear it's his first job. Congratulations.
MY AGENT: Thanks.
BUSINESS AFFAIRS: Whatcha looking for?
MY AGENT: A million dollars.
BUSINESS AFFAIRS: What kind of dumb fucking lesbian are you?
HANG UP.
MY AGENT: Shit.
SHE DIALS AGAIN...
MY AGENT: Can I have a second chance?
BUSINESS AFFAIRS: Twenty thousand dollars. Take it or leave it.
MY AGENT: Take it. Thank you very much.
BUSINESS AFFAIRS: I'm sorry about the dumb fucking lesbian comment.
MY AGENT: No problem.

And here's what my agent said to me five minutes later: "OH MY GOD JOSH YOU ARE NOT GONNA BELIEVE THIS THEY ARE GONNA PAY YOU TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR YOUR FIRST REAL HOLLYWOOD JOB TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS ISN'T THAT FUCKING AWESOME?"

And it was.

40 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the best blog ever.

8/22/2005 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pretty much gonna say what the first person said.

Rock on.

8/22/2005 11:14 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Just cause I'm preoccupied by using the measurement of time as the holy ruler of all things... How old were you when you got your 20 grand writing gig?

8/22/2005 11:58 PM  
Blogger TC said...

Please don't answer that question above. It would be too depressing. I'm 36 and just now working on my first indie feature.

That said, I enjoy reading your blog; keep it up.

8/23/2005 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, sir, are quite clever and insightful. Love reading your blog. Keep it up.

8/23/2005 3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to get in on something like an interesting new blog on the ground floor. I hate having to go back and start at the beginning when I find one I like, which is something I do because apparently my time is worthless to me and I have no self respect and... We'll just finish that line of thought there.

I have no idea how long you can keep up this quality and quantity but I'm certainly sticking around to find out, and if you do eventually start to slack off I'll no doubt start making horrible comments about your abilities as a "real writer" to shame you into bringing back this level of output, because I'm cruel and think only of my own enjoyment and the world owes me ... I'll stop that thought about there too.

8/23/2005 3:42 AM  
Blogger Luben said...

Josh,

Was that serial killer movie actually made?

Then, what was the next thing you did after that?

And how did that agent work out for you?

Also, as far as WOTW, what was your experience working with Spielberg like?

Luben

8/23/2005 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, are you still with that agent?

And this an awesome blog. Consider turning the posts into a book at some point, perhaps? War Stories from The Screenwriting Trenches.

8/23/2005 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm just a guy from The Netherlands that loves film and wants to say I really like your blog. Funny, informative, intelligent.

8/23/2005 6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on this post, I would strongly suggest you make your next script a comedy. Hilarious.

8/23/2005 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see the Koepp top your blog!

Great job on this site Josh.

(And write a comedy for chrissakes!)

8/23/2005 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm withholding my praise until I read your father's next comment.

8/23/2005 9:17 AM  
Blogger John Oak Dalton said...

Great blog, thanks for displaying your flayed soul.

John

8/23/2005 9:48 AM  
Blogger Kidsis said...

Did you see the Snakes on a Plane report on AICN?

And here are the pix!

8/23/2005 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, why the hell aren't you writing a comedy? This is by far the funniest, best written blog I've ever come across.

Not to mention one of the very, very few actually worth reading.

8/23/2005 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, a screenwriting blog w/ some personality, self-deprecation, wit, irreverence...and no fucking talk of (O.S.) vs. (O.C.).

Thanks, Josh Friedman. This is fun.

(I thought I'd get $100K for my first job. I got $17K. When I got the offer, I couldn't tell if I was vomiting due to shock at the pitiful amount of the offer or shock that I was actually getting an offer. I think it was both.)

8/23/2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger Marcy Green said...

you fuck around and wait/hope for something better to come along? a man after my own heart

8/23/2005 11:36 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

See I'm not too concerned with being depressed or fearful.

Please let us know when you first got your brake. thanks.

8/23/2005 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best. Screenwriter. Blog. Ever.

8/23/2005 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the funniest blog ever. Snorted lemonade out of my nose on the 'dumb lesbian', just too funny.

Came here from Geeseaplenty.com.

But please, for the love of God, change the fucking black background to something bright, like white.. I get a mad headache reading on here.

8/23/2005 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way, don't change the background. It's like my dark, funny corner of the web I can retreat to...

8/23/2005 2:09 PM  
Blogger writergurl said...

Lesbians are NOT dumb. I oughta know, I are one.

I'll just join the rest of the chorus and say that I lurve, lurve, lurve this blog.

8/23/2005 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I strongly agree about changing the background. Please consider anything but black -- it's very tough on the eyes and we're all getting older.

8/23/2005 3:40 PM  
Blogger Scoopy said...

Goddammit, this is funny. Funnier even than your blog's title, which makes me gleeful each time I see it in my bookmarks browser.

8/23/2005 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog.

One question: why did you sign the lifetime option? Was it based on your agent's advice?

8/23/2005 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"One question: why did you sign the lifetime option? Was it based on your agent's advice?"

did you acutally READ the post???

and writergurl - my flatmate am a lesbian and she thinks they're the stupidest people on the planet.

next to fundamentalists and scientologists, of course.

8/23/2005 4:31 PM  
Blogger jmj said...

Damn fine blog. I haven't actually laughed out loud while reading a blog for a long time. I'm glad I got in early. You're definitely going on my Bookmarks bar. BTW- I found you through the great .

8/23/2005 8:05 PM  
Blogger nolo said...

John Rogers is my hero, but you are now officially my Other hero. Second most excellent post, surpassed only by your Snakes on a Plane post. I made everyone in my house read that one.

8/23/2005 8:47 PM  
Blogger josh said...

Zak--
I come by yourself every day (okay, I peek in your windows at about four am) and you're never around for chicken fights.

8/23/2005 9:04 PM  
Blogger writergurl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/23/2005 9:16 PM  
Blogger writergurl said...

Anonymous person with the lesbian flatmate... Dude, I was JOKING.

I don't know the lesbians your "flatmate" hangs out with, so I can't begin to assay their intelligence. Perhaps she needs some new friends? Regardless, in all sincerity, neither any of my friends nor I could be considered "stupid".

My sympathies to your unfortunate flatmate, being forced to tolerate all the stupidity that surrounds her MUST be exceedingly difficult.

8/23/2005 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah this blog is pretty damn amazing... I laughed til I cried at this post.

8/23/2005 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is NOT the best blog ever, this is NOT the funniest blog ever...but pretty damn cool nonetheless...you could be the new Rance, keep on rocking man

8/24/2005 5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Derek, waiting for whatever your dad is going to say to THIS one. ha!

Josh, I think your blog is quickly becoming the flavor of the month! (at least for me)

8/24/2005 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're totally a cherry flavored Jolly Rancher.

Wait a second.

Was that gay?

I think that was totally gay. Damnit. I swear I didn't mean it gay. I SO swear.

*pause for uncomfortable silence*

The overempahasis on "so" was gay wasn't it? It was. It's okay; you're still a cherry flavored Jolly Rancher. Good for you I love the cherry flavored Jolly Rancher.

*more of that silence*

Okay, all this gayness is getting a little out of hand. Who's in for chicken fights?

8/24/2005 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight and tips.

Very fun stuff.

8/24/2005 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son, I had a few minutes to waste, so I decided to check up on the quantity and quality of your new blogging effort. I will have to give you a B+ on quantity (knowing your "heavy" work schedule); but, I am confident that you can't keep up this "torrid" pace (for you) too much longer.

As for quality, despite what some of the blogees(?) might be saying, I think you can do a lot better. Your use of profanity, alone, brings the quality down to a C-. It takes no effort to use the "*"-word in place of more apt, less lazy descriptors. Typos here and there and other sloppiness are also costing you. The use of computerized spell and grammar checks is no substitute for diligence.

Please, son, either give it more effort or bow out now while you have so few blogees(?).

Love,

Dad

8/25/2005 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh:
Do you always get this much support from your Dad? I assume your Dad is the Cruise character in the movie. Loves you, wants to do the right thing, but somehow can't say, "I'm proud of you, son." and leave it at that. It's clear he cares. My Dad cared. Just before he died he said, "Son, did I ever tell you that I thought you were retarded when you were a kid." It was supposed to get a rise out of me to feel that, well, I was wrong in whatever was our current argument. I told him, "NO" because he hadn't, and even a retard would remember that. I then refused to call him over the holidays. Next thing I knew, he was dead. Blasted off the earth by aliens...well not quite...But to finish the analogy, there was no Cruise and son happy ending. To this day I regret turning my back on him. And I can't get that back. So, as much as Tom/Dad harps on you, just know he loves you. If he didn't he would not be reading your blog. He may not say it, but I will for him... "I'm proud of you son, your a chip off the old block...Der tate oysn oyg!"

8/25/2005 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome blog, Josh. Best blog on the net. Rock on.

8/28/2005 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck Trump. This blog is better than reality TV!

9/16/2005 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home